Sunday, February 10, 2008

2008: Year of the Bike

Okay, I know it is the year of the rat, but I'll take a bike instead. I've been attending a couple meetings of the transportation advisory board to talk about a bike to work day for the businesses along River Road. I'm excited that I'll be taking a four week bike maintenance course down at Broadway Bikes in Cambridge along with my son's fiancee. I've been out riding a few times since the start of the year, but I don't think I will ride regularly until the end of Feb.
Here is a quick rundown of national, state and local bike activities. On the national scale, the League of American Bicyclists has named fifteen new cities across the U.S. to the status of bicycle friendly communities, alas none in Massachusetts. The 2008 Federal Transportation bill is still way overweighted to expanding automobile travel. I guess this is to be expected. In the Massachusetts area, there are some signs of encouragement particularly in Boston where Mayor Menino has become a biking advocate. The big city mayors, taking a cue perhaps from bike friendly projects in London and Paris, have become some of the biggest biking advocates. Locally, Andover is up to vote on Community Preservation Act . Andover has left a lot of money on the community development table by not taking part in this state matching program. If you look at the town budget, you'll see a couple million gap between costs and expenses. The current thinking seems to be that an override can get us on course for the next couple years. I don't see how. Too many employee contracts remain unsigned, too many capital expenditure projects (capping the landfills, road maintenance) remain to be funded and -- the big elephant in the closet -- declining housing valuations will stymie any quick budget fix. What this means to me is that bike lane etc funding will have to be found elsewhere.

No comments:

A Peddling Wish

Thanks for coming to this blog. Here's what I'd like to accomplish. The long term goal is to be part of creating a safe, comprehensive bicycle plan for Andover. I'd like to think that at some point (I'll call it the 25-year bike plan), the town will have a series of linked paths and safe roadways which the residents can use for recreation, shopping, business and commuting. Students will learn the rules of safe biking early on, drivers will share the roads willingly and our town will be viewed as a model for other community biking efforts. Care to join in for the ride? My email is Lundquist.eric@gmail.com BLOG RULES 1. I've enabled comment moderation. This means I get a chance to approve comments before they appear. This is intended to keep the blog on topic, civil and appropriate for all to read. 2. Please stay on topic: Bicycling in Andover 3. Please participate. If you want to stay anonymous on the blog, please say so.